Teach German

Interested in becoming a German teacher in Ontario?

Teaching German is much more than just grammar and Goethe: it is a truly rewarding and dynamic career!

Are you already certified in Ontario?

You can take the Additional Qualification course, German - Part 1, in the Spring-Summer  to becoming an OCT-certified German teacher. This is a brand new and exciting course! Full details here.

Are you in high school, university, or looking to begin a teaching career?

To qualify as a high school German teacher, you will need a four-year degree from a recognized university, which includes:

  • sufficient undergraduate courses to teach two subject areas other than German to teach grades 7-12 (Intermediate/Senior) and one subject area to teach grades 4-10 (Junior/Intermediate) (i.e. History, Music, French, First Nations/Métis/Inuit Studies, English, Family Studies, Social Studies, Chemistry, etc.).

    German is no longer offered at an Ontario Faculty of Education as a teaching subject. However, any qualified Ontario Certified Teacher may enrol in the Additional Qualification course, German - Part 1, upon successful completion of their pre-service education program.

Following completion of your undergraduate degree, or during your final year of your undergraduate studies, you apply for entry into the Faculty of Education, for the two-year Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) or equivalent program. As of 2020, 12 universities in Ontario have Faculties of Education, plus other American, Australian, and private universities who offer programs leading towards teacher certification.

While the minimum entry criteria vary for each institution, in addition to your academic achievement, related experience working with children and youth is required to admission to Ontario’s Faculties of Education. You will need to outline at least two experiences relating to teaching that you have achieved. These experiences can be as varied as coaching sports, teaching ESL or International Languages overseas, volunteering as a leader or mentor with youth or paid employment in the education sector.

Applications for these institutions are processed through the Ontario Universities Application Center (OUAC). Full details for all four of the above Faculties of Education, their entry requirements and fees are available at http://www.ouac.on.ca.

Remember: as a high school teacher, you will need two teaching subjects other than German. Generally, two to five full-year courses (or the equivalent) will be required for your second subject. Visit the Teacher Education Application Service at https://www.ouac.on.ca/teas/ for full details.

Are you already qualified as a German teacher?

If you completed your education as a German teacher overseas, the Ontario College of Teachers, the regulatory body for Ontario educators, will assist you step-by-step in obtaining a license to teach in Ontario. Visit http://www.oct.ca and click on “Internationally Educated Teachers”.

If you have any questions about the above information, please do not hesitate to contact us at oatgpresident@gmail.com.