This section is under construction with new information coming soon.


Archived issues of Rundbrief

The OATG newsletter, Rundbrief, is a great source of teaching material, resources, tips, and more!
Fall 2014
Fall 2013
Fall 2012
Fall 2011
Spring 2010


Interested in becoming a German teacher in Ontario?

Teaching German is much more than just grammar and Goethe: it is a truly rewarding and dynamic career!

 To qualify as a high school German teacher, you will need:

  • A four-year degree from a recognized university, which includes
  • sufficient undergraduate courses to teach a two subject areas other than German (i.e. History, Music, French, English, Family Studies, Social Studies, Chemistry, etc.).

    As of 2016, German is no longer offered at an Ontario Faculty of Education as a teaching subject. However, any qualified Ontario Certified Teacher may teach in (and even begin) a German program in an Ontario high school.

Following completion of your undergraduate degree, or during your final year of your undergraduate studies, you apply for entry into the Faculty of Education, for the two-year Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) program. As of 2017, twelve universities in Ontario have Faculties of Education, plus other American, Australian, and private universities who offer programs leading towards teacher certification.

While the minimum entry criteria vary for each institution, in addition to your academic achievement, related experience working with children and youth is required to admission to Ontario’s Faculties of Education. You will need to outline at least two experiences relating to teaching that you have achieved. These experiences can be as varied as coaching sports, teaching ESL or International Languages overseas, volunteering as a leader or mentor with youth or paid employment in the education sector.

Applications for these institutions are processed through the Ontario Universities Application Center (OUAC). Full details for all four of the above Faculties of Education, their entry requirements and fees are available at


Remember: as a high school teacher, you will need two teaching subjects other than German. Generally, two to five full-year courses (or the equivalent) will be required for your second subject. Visit the Teacher Education Application Service at for full details.


Are you already qualified as a German teacher?

If you completed your education as a German teacher overseas, the Ontario College of Teachers, the regulatory body for Ontario educators, will assist you step-by-step in obtaining a license to teach in Ontario. Visit and click on “Internationally Educated Teachers”.


 Already a German teacher?

Additional Qualifications (AQ) courses are available for German teachers. The Honour Specialist program for German teachers is offered every second year in July through OISE/UT. The course will be offered in July 2018 and takes only four weeks (sixteen instructional days). To register, the following is needed:

  • nine university courses in German,
  • successful completion of the placement test,
  • two years of teaching experience, including one year of experience teaching German.

You can also qualify for the course with six university courses in German, by completing a Combined Honour Specialist course. For full details on Honour Specialist courses, visit


If you have any questions about the above information, please do not hesitate to contact us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .